The insurance giant shares more details on the supplements to enhance basic CareShield Life coverage through higher long-term care payouts and other care benefits
Singapore – The Ministry of Health has appointed Aviva as a supplement provider for CareShield Life, the national long-term care insurance scheme. Aviva has also been the supplement provider for ElderShield since 2007.
Under MyLongTermCare and MyLongTermCare Plus, individuals can receive higher monthly payouts for a lifetime in addition to CareShield Life’s payout if they become severely disabled. By offering escalating payouts at a fixed rate, Aviva’s plans supplement CareShield Life to help Singaporeans cope with the consequences of inflation on long-term care costs and unexpected disability. This was especially designed to address concerns over rising costs.
Another key feature of this supplement is the option to increase monthly benefit at key milestones in life without further health underwriting so individuals need not worry about changes in their health should there be a need to increase coverage. Premiums can be made using MediSave (up to S$600 per calendar year per Life Assured).
With Singaporeans living longer, the need for long-term care increases. One in 2 healthy Singaporeans aged 65 could become severely disabled in their lifetime and around 3 in 10 could remain in severe disability for 10 years or more1, meaning individuals should begin planning for their future long-term care needs early.
|Features & Benefits||CareShield Life||MyLongTermCare||MyLongTermCare Plus|
|Availability of increasing payouts|| |
Payouts increase at 2% per annum (p.a.)2 until age 67, or when a claim is made, whichever is earlier
|Choice of fixed payouts or increasing payouts at a fixed rate of 2% or 3% p.a. until the end of the premium terms, or when a claim is made, whichever is earlier.|
|Severe disability definition||Inability to perform at least 3 out of 6 Activities of Daily Living (ADL)||Inability to perform at least 2 out of 6 ADL|
Monthly benefit amount3
|S$200 to S$5,000 per month (in increments of S$100) on top of CareShield Life’s payout|
Lump sum benefit
|One-time benefit that is 3 times of your first monthly benefit|
50% of your last monthly benefit, for as long as you’re unable to perform 2 ADL
|Caregiver relief benefit |
(when you’re receiving the monthly benefit or Rehabilitation Benefit)
|Additional 60% of monthly benefit, up to 12 months|
|Dependant care benefit |
(when you’re receiving the monthly benefit or rehabilitation benefit and have a child 22 ANB and below at the point of claim)
|Additional 20% of monthly benefit, up to 36 months|
Waiver of premium
Future premiums are waived, for as long as you’re unable to perform at least 1 ADL
|Guaranteed issuance option |
(flexibility to increase your monthly benefit without further health underwriting at key life stage events such as getting married, purchasing a property or becoming a parent)
Increase up to 50% of monthly benefit at key milestones in life
|Death benefit |
(when death occurs while you’re receiving the monthly benefit or Rehabilitation Benefit)
One-off payout of 3 times of your last paid monthly benefit or Rehabilitation Benefit
Aviva’s Long-Term Care Study conducted in 2018 showed that the extent of care can cost S$2,324 each month on average. This makes it crucial for Singaporeans to start building a solid safety net to protect against long-term disability – especially because funds set aside for other financial goals could quickly deplete. These supplements are designed to withstand the effects of inflation and stretched to cover the length of recovery.Daniel Lum, Director for Product and Marketing of Aviva Singapore, said:
Key benefits & features of MyLongTermCare & MyLongTermCare Plus*
For more information, please find the brochure attached or visit: www.aviva.com.sg/en/mylongtermcare/
- ENDS -
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business, serving 33 million customers worldwide.
- In Singapore, we’re a provider of Medisave-approved Integrated Shield plans as well as supplementary plans for the national ElderShield and CareShield Life schemes.
- We’re also one of the biggest providers of employee benefits and healthcare. This includes protecting Singapore Armed Forces servicemen since 1983, as well as being the appointed provider for the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and Public Officers Group Insurance Scheme (POGIS).
- Our people and their dedication to our customers is what sets us apart. Putting our customers first and caring passionately about their needs, striving to challenge the status quo and putting things right; this will ensure that Aviva will be there for our customers and for our communities today, tomorrow and for many years to come.
2. Payouts will be reviewed regularly and may be adjusted to account for claims experience and long-term changes in disability and longevity trends.
3. Monthly benefits for MyLongTermCare will be made if you’re unable to perform at least 3 out of 6 ADL. Monthly benefits will be made under MyLongTermCare Plus if you’re unable to perform at least 2 out of 6 ADL. The 6 ADLs include washing, toileting, walking or moving around, transferring, feeding and dressing.
4. Rehabilitation Benefit is only available for MyLongTermCare.
*Please refer to www.aviva.com.sg/mylongtermcare for complete details on the benefits and the list of ADL. Policy T&Cs apply. Protected up to specified limits by SDIC.