Direct Purchase Insurance FAQ
Most popular questions
What are the Direct Purchase Insurance (DPI) plans offered by Aviva?
There are two life insurance plans which you can purchase directly from us. They are:
DIRECT - Aviva Term Life
- A Term Life plan that provides up to S$400,0001 coverage for Death, Terminal Illness, or Total and Permanent Disability.
- Available cover term options are – 5 years, 20 years, or up to 65 Age Next Birthday.
- Premiums are level and do not increase with age.
- Premium payment period is the same as the policy coverage period.
DIRECT - Aviva Whole Life
- A participating Whole Life plan that provides a lump-sum payout up to $200,0001 and non-guaranteed bonuses (if any) when Death, Terminal Illness, or Total and Permanent Disability happens.
- Potential to accumulate bonuses annually.
- Premiums are level and do not increase with age.
- Choice of premium payment period - i) Pay till 70 Age Next Birthday or ii) Pay till 85 Age Next Birthday.
1Aviva Direct Purchase Insurance coverage limit per person: Maximum sum assured of S$400,000 for DIRECT- Aviva Term Life, inclusive of maximum S$200,000 for DIRECT- Aviva Whole Life is allowed. Please refer to the illustrations below:
- Illustration 1: f you have purchased a DIRECT- Aviva Term Life with sum assured of S$300,000, you may purchase an additional DIRECT- Aviva Term Life or DIRECT- Aviva Whole Life with sum assured of S$100,000.
- Illustration 2: If you have purchased a DIRECT- Aviva Whole Life with sum assured of S$100,000, you may buy another DIRECT- Aviva Whole Life not exceeding sum assured of S$100,000 or DIRECT- Aviva Term Life not exceeding sum assured of S$300,000.
In addition, both plans give you an option to add a DIRECT- Aviva Critical Illness Cover II, so that you can be protected if you are diagnosed with any of the 30 critical illnesses stated in the Product Summary. These 30 critical illnesses are standard across all insurance companies offering the DPI plans.
Who is eligible to apply for the DPI plans?
You may apply for these plans as long as:
- You are a resident in Singapore (including foreigners who are holding a valid Employment Pass, Work Pass, Dependant Pass or Student Pass), and
- You are between 19 and 65 Age Next Birthday (both ages inclusive).
Do I need to submit any medical reports or undergo any medical check-ups?
Yes. The DPI plans will go through a similar approval process as non-DPI life insurance plans. You are advised to submit your medical report and you may also be required to go for a medical check-up.
How do I know if my application has been successfully completed?
For application that does not require further underwriting, a confirmation email accompanied with the policy number will be sent to you. The policy document will be sent to you via post.
How can I make a claim?
You can obtain a claim form through the following ways:
- Download the claims form from our corporate site
- Call our customer service hotline at 6827 9933 (8.45am to 5.30pm, Mondays to Fridays, excluding public holidays) to request for one
- Email us at email@example.com to request for one
- Visit our Customer Service Hall to obtain a printed form
Instructions on how to file a claim is found on page 1 of the individual claim form.
Overview and Eligibility
How can I apply for DPI?
Please refer to the steps found here: https://www.aviva.com.sg/en/insurance/life-and-health/direct-purchase-insurance-application-process/. As DPI plans are sold directly from insurance companies without financial advice, you will need to read the required documents carefully before buying any DPI plan. If you’re still unsure what type of DPI to buy and how much coverage is needed for you, you are encouraged to seek advice from a financial adviser representative to advise you on a suitable product.
How will I know if the DPI is suitable for me?
These DPI plans are designed to be sold without advice.
1) MoneySense article on buying DPI: https://www.moneysense.gov.sg/articles/2018/10/buying-direct-purchase-insurance
2) Web Aggregator (for life insurance products): http://www.comparefirst.sg
3) MoneySense Budget Calculator: https://www.moneysense.gov.sg/financial-tools/budget-calculator
4) CPF Board Insurance Estimator: https://www.cpf.gov.sg/eSvc/Web/Schemes/InsuranceEstimator/InsuranceEstimator
You may also approach our Customer Service staff to obtain information about the plans, as well as the guides provided by Life Insurance Association (LIA).
What do I need to disclose in my DPI application?
You should disclose all information requested in the application form (including any pre-existing medical conditions) fully and truthfully. If material information is not disclosed or fully disclosed, you or your dependants may not be able to claim the benefits under DPI. If you are unsure whether the information is material, you are advised to disclose it.
Can I purchase DPI for my family members?
No, the applicant and the life assured must be the same person.
What are the payment options available?
- For your initial premium payment, we accept cash, cheque and credit card.
- For your subsequent premium payment, we accept cash, cheque, Interbank GIRO and AXS.