General Exceptions: Personal accident
These apply to all sections of the policy unless stipulated otherwise.
This policy does not cover any claim or consequence whatsoever, caused by or in connection with any of the following, or which is the direct or indirect result of any of the following, whether or not such claim or consequence has been contributed to by any other cause or event:
War, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities or a war-like operation or operations (whether war be declared or not), civil war, mutiny, rebellion, revolution, military rising, insurrection, civil commotion assuming the proportions of or amounting to an uprising, military or usurped power.
2. Other actions
Any action taken in controlling, preventing, suppressing or in any way relating to (1) War above or Terrorism.
Any form of radioactivity including, but not limited to,
- Ionising radiation or radioactive contamination from nuclear fuel or nuclear waste; or
- Radioactive, toxic, explosive or other dangerous properties of explosive nuclear equipment.
4. Aerial and underwater activities
- You travelling in air (except while travelling in a duly licensed commercial aircraft as a fare-paying passenger) or taking part in any other aerial activities including bungee jumping, parachuting and sky diving.
- You taking part in any underwater activities including diving, water gymnastics or aerobics.
5. Other activities or occupations
You engaging in any of the following activities or Your occupation(s) which involves or falls within any of the following categories:
- heavy manual labour.
- the use of any machinery including heavy machinery such as cranes, forklifts or vehicles requiring a Class 4 or above driving license.
- manual work in hazardous places including shipyards, dockyards, construction sites, aircraft hangars and oil refineries.
- handling of hazardous chemicals or explosive materials.
- work or activities at height (exceeding 9 metres above ground or floor level).
- diving, oil-rig platform or offshore work or activities.
- manual work below ground level.
- welding or woodworking.
- any unskilled labour.
- any hazardous occupation including pilot, air crew, ship crew, worker on board vessels, stevedore, shipbreaker, fisherman, fire fighter, police, naval, military, air force service or operation and the like (except under section 14 of the Enlistment Act (Chapter 93) of the Republic of Singapore).
6. Events causing or arising with or as a result of Your Accidental Injury
- Any allergy, condition, disease, illness, infirmity, sickness, bacterial or viral infection.
- Any side effect of medication.
- Any known risks associated with any medical or surgical procedure.
- Any gradual loss of use or function which is not a direct result of an Accident.
7. Pre-existing conditions
Any allergy, condition, illness, infirmity or injury, diagnosed or undiagnosed, before the date of Accident, for which You have received advice, medication, treatment, been told of, or for which You are under investigation, awaiting results, on a waiting list, or are aware of the need for in-patient treatment.
8. Health care
- Any general check-up, convalescence, rest cure, custodial or restorative care.
- Any dental care or dental disease.
- Any eye examination or eye care.
- Any pregnancy-related treatment including treatment arising from pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion, childbirth, sterilisation, contraception and any treatment for infertility.
- Any dental, optical, cosmetic or plastic surgery or any elective surgery unless all of the following conditions are met:
- The surgery is necessitated by an Accidental Injury sustained by You;
- Carried out to restore the function or appearance after the Accident;
- Done at a medically appropriate stage after the Accident by a Doctor; and
- We approve of its cost in writing before it is done.
- Any condition, impairment, illness or disease, even if contracted by accident or occurring whilst You are injured, whether known or unknown to You. This includes
- Any food poisoning.
- Any bacterial and/or viral infections, venereal disease, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or AIDS Related Complex (ARC).
- Any mental, psychological, emotional or nervous problems or conditions, including anxiety, depression, sleep disorders or insanity.
- Any congenital anomaly.
- Implants (homograft, heterograft, artificial) and prosthesis.
- Procurement or use of any assistive or mobility devices, hospital-type equipment or medical appliances, including ventilator, hearing aid, contact lenses, eye glasses, crutches and wheelchair.
- Any expenses, administrative or other charges of a non-medical nature in connection with the provision and/or performance of medical supplies and/or services.
9. Alcohol, drugs and intoxication
Whether known or unknown to You,
- taking of drugs or alcohol, regardless of whether You are affected or under the influence of it, even if the drug was prescribed by a registered medical practitioner.
- Drug-addiction, drug abuse or drug-related treatments.
- Motorcycling as a rider or passenger on a machine above 125cc.
- Motorcycling as a rider, on a machine 125cc or under, without a valid motorcycle license.
- Motorcycling on a machine 125cc or under without wearing a crash helmet.
- Bicycling on expressways.
11. Conscious or voluntary acts
Regardless of the extent of Your sanity, any
- culmination of repetitive stresses of Your normal everyday activities.
- participation in any riot or strike.
- provocation or commission of assault, hijack or murder.
- suicide or attempted suicide.
- reckless and deliberate exposure to known danger.
- competition in or practise for speed-contest, timed trial or racing.
- traveling against the advice of any registered medical practitioner or any travel advisory of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Singapore.
12. Unlawful act
Any unlawful act committed by You, regardless of the extent of Your sanity. Unlawful act refers to any act that does not conform to or is not permitted by the law or rules of the geographical area in which the act is committed. Unlawful act includes but is not limited to:
- Exceeding any stipulated speed limit whilst driving or riding a motorised vehicle.
- Driving whilst under the influence of alcohol.
- Non-conformance to the Road Traffic Act or the like.
- Non-conformance to the Road Traffic (Pedestrian Crossing) Rules or the like.
- Non-conformance to the Road Traffic (Bicycle) Rules or the like.
- Participation in or acting as an accessory to any crime or attempted crime or offence.
13. Wilful act or omission or gross negligence
Your intentional or wilful act or omission, or gross negligence.
14. Restricted countries
Travel in, to, or through Afghanistan, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, Iraq, Liberia, Sudan, or Syria.
15. Sanction limitation and exclusion clause
We shall not be deemed to provide cover and We shall not be liable to pay any claim or provide any benefit hereunder to the extent that the provision of such cover, payment of such claim or provision of such benefit would expose Us to any sanction, prohibition or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union or United Kingdom or United States of America.