This article first appeared on HealthXchange.sg.
Republished with permission.
Your brain is a powerful thing. Your mental state not only controls your consciousness, but also determines how your body functions. Stress, grief and depression can have a negative effect on your mental health. Studies have shown that serious mental illnesses can lower life expectancy by 10 to 15 years.
Here are 10 ingredients that can boost your mental wellness for a healthier you.
1. Get at least eight hours of sleep a day
You are more alert and less prone to stress after a good night’s rest. Getting enough sleep can also improve your memory.
2. Eat a healthy diet. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, tuna and mackerel, cut the risk of dementia and mental decline
Good nutrition is a natural defence against stress. Begin your day with a nutritious breakfast, preferably of wholegrain cereals and fruits, and take balanced meals throughout the day.
3. Keep yourself active. At least 30 minutes of exercise, three times a week, is ideal
Exercising keeps you physically strong, and reduces or prevents stress. Go for a walk or unwind with yoga. It is better to do moderate exercise regularly than to have a heavy workout occasionally.
4. Interact with others. Talk to another person for at least 10 minutes daily
Talking to people stimulates the brain. A study in the US found that talking to another person for just 10 minutes a day improves memory scores. Also, the more you interact with others, the faster your brain will work.
5. Pick up a new skill or hobby
Learning to play a musical instrument, acquiring computer skills, starting a new hobby or learning to cook a new dish can help keep your brain active and healthy.
To see the next 5 tips, head over to HealthXchange.sg!